- fear of their own birth
- fear of their past labor/birth experiences
- fear of the current labor process
- fear from sexual, physical, or relational abuse
- fear from societal preprogramming
- fear from cultural preprogramming
I have recently (as in, the last day) been looking into a new practice to help release these anxieties in reference to the birth process (though this practice can be used for any tension or fear). This practice is called EFT.
Here is as easy an explanation as I can come up with:
You, as the doula, would work with the mom to identify her fear or worry that she is having. She would then rate that fear/worry. You would then lead her in the 'script' by saying the acceptance statement. Then, leading her and working together, she would 'release' all fears/worries that she has attributed to this birth/issue. Finally, give a forgiveness statement and then fulfill with positive affirmations to replace those fears.
Very powerful and can be done in about 2 minutes time, from start to finish. This is enough time to do between contractions and still have time to prepare for the next contraction.
Here is a sample EFT script for the fear of pushing your baby out (thank you Sheridan).
1. Rate your level of fear/worry on a scale of 1-10
2. Start with KC (karate chop) while saying your set up statement.
"Even though I am afraid of pushing my baby out, I love and accept myself."
3. (Tap between eyebrows while saying) Releasing fears of birth
4. (Tap side of eye while saying) Releasing fears of pushing
5. (Tap under eye while saying) Releasing fear of baby being too big
6. (Tap under nose while saying) Releasing doubt
7. (Tap on chin while saying) Releasing anger/fear from last birth
8. (Tap between collar bones while saying) Releasing uncertainty.
9. (Tap under arm while saying) Releasing fear of tearing
10. (Tap top of head while saying) Releasing fear of failure
11. Now make a fist and put it by your heart and move it in a circle and say
"I forgive myself for these fears, I am doing the best that I know how."
12. Asses your level of fear/worry again... if it is still pretty high you can do steps 2-11 again.
Now we will tap in positive affirmations using the same tapping points.
13. (Tap between eyebrows while saying) I trust my body.
14. (Tap side of eye while saying) I can easily push my baby out.
15. (Tap under eye while saying) My perineum will stay intact as I push my baby out.
16. (Tap under nose while saying) My baby is the perfect size for me
17. (Tap on chin while saying) This is a new birth.
18. (Tap between collar bones while saying) My baby will be born healthy and at the perfect time for him/her
19. (Tap under arm while saying) My body knows how to birth this baby.
20. (Tap top of head while saying) I will have an enjoyable birth
These issues may not be yours regarding your pregnancy and birth so you can write your own script as well.
Here is a YouTube demonstration of the pressure points spoken about:
And here is the EFT in use:
Some may say 'wow, what a quack', while others may think it is a little too 'new age'.
But, in my estimation, there is nothing anti-Biblical in it, as it taps into acupressure points, uses positive affirmations, and works to reestablish trust.