10.17.2016

Lost on Hope Island: The Amazing Tale of the Little Goat Midwives (Lost on Hope Island Trilogy Book 1)

Patricia Harman has written a children's book!


This sweet story is about a young girl and her younger brother and their adventures after being shipwrecked. It's a story of survival, hope, perseverance, and family. The story has information on survival skills training (which was neat since we are doing that in school this year), and was an enjoyable read for the entire family. I look forward to seeing the rest of the series.

I had my children read it as well and I personally feel that their reviews are more important than mine:

Bri (16): There were a few grammatical errors in it, going from past tense to current. But the storyline is great. I can see kids my siblings ages loving this book. I felt hopeful that the children will be ok and that they are learning to live in community with the goats and other living things on the island. The survival skills they demonstrated were very real to life and applicable - that was a nice touch.

Kairi (13): I couldn't read some of it - it was too sad. But I loved how smart the girl and boy are. Hope is the central theme of this book and I loved that, at the end of the book, you feel hopeful. I need to read the next one now. Good adventure.

Charis (12): I wanted more information on the story - maybe we'll learn about it in the next books.. like what happened to the parents? What happened to the owners of the homestead? Where did all that stuff come from? I can't say too much because you have to read it. The goats were funny. They have sad parts and happy ones. I wish there were less sad ones though.

Jocelyn (12): This was really cool. They talked about some of the things we did in school on how to survive a bad situation. I liked how resourceful the older child was, and that she still needed her little brother's help too. He was helpful even though he was small. They fought like real kids. I don't know how I would do in that same situation - but I know I would be ok.

Xander (10): I didn't like it making me cry. I wanted everyone to be ok. I did like the adventure. It was scary sometimes. The goats were funny. I'm worried about the kids.

There was only one small section where the author flipped tense, but otherwise it was a smooth, easy, enjoyable read. I can't wait to read the rest of the series!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews