I am such a birth geek. I prefer that term to birth junkie because I am not necessarily addicted to birth, but I am definitely completely geeky about it - insatiably learning and researching and assisting with it at every possible moment.
I love reading about the event; our anatomy and physiology, the hormones of labor and birth, our emotional and mental and spiritual selves during the event - it's amazing.
Which is why I wanted to link you up to some great reads about the lovely and intoxicating hormones of labor and birth:
- Oxytocin - the love hormone. You know, kiss me deeply and make me feel all purry inside.
- Melatonin - yep, dark room and sleepy mama? this even helps!
- Beta Endorphins - you know, the painless high that athletes get? yep, laboring women get it too, but not if you have an epidural!
- Adrenaline - not so good in first stage, awesome in second stage.
- A great PDF of Sarah Buckley's Ecstatic Birth - Hormonal Blueprint of Labor, the most popular article on this subject.
- Natural Childbirth III: Why Undisturbed Birth and Natural Childbirth IV: the Hormones of Birth - a really neat read.
- Childbirth Connections quick reference of the hormones of labor and birth.
- A great slideshow presentation on the Hormones of Birth