8.13.2007

Meetings and Mommas and Musings Oh MY!

Well, in the last week I have had 3 meetings with 3 separate potential clients. One is due the middle of September, one is due the middle of October, and one is due the middle of November. I would love, after meeting each of these wonderful women, to be chosen as their doula.

Two are on bedrest, one with preterm labor and one with an irritable uterus. One is a VBAC hopeful with a 20-odd month old little one, and two are first time mommas. Two are Christian, the other I am not sure. None of them have taken birthing classes but are very self-educated... definitely assertive women. All three have doting husbands completely on board with their childbirth choices.

I love my job - I only hope/pray that I can be chosen by them.

Finally, I have been in correspondence with a couple expecting twins interested in childbirth prep classes. I hope that they will be talking with me again soon as they are looking at the beginning of their 30th week here soon and will find themselves quickly running out of time. Oh how it flies - and more so when you have two vying for space.

On a personal note, I happened upon a beautiful poem that set my heart a-flutter:

Love set you going like a fat gold watch.
The midwife slapped your footsoles, and your bald cry
Took its place among the elements.

Our voices echo, magnifying your arrival. New statue.
In a drafty museum, your nakedness
Shadows our safety. We stand round blankly as walls.

I'm no more your mother
Than the cloud that distills a mirror to reflect its own slow
Effacement at the wind's hand.

All night your moth-breath
Flickers among the flat pink roses. I wake to listen:
A far sea moves in my ear.

One cry, and I stumble from bed, cow-heavy and floral
In my Victorian nightgown.
Your mouth opens clean as a cat's. The window square

Whitens and swallows its dull stars. And now you try
Your handful of notes;
The clear vowels rise like balloons. - Sylvia Plath - Morning Song


Beautiful.

2 comments:

kris said...

you are one busy doula! hope you get the right clients for you. see you're inspiring for me, i can't wait to start working more....and where did you come across that poem?

Nicole D said...

Poetry.com ... and on a side note, I have 'signed' two of the mommas. I love my job.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews