8.21.2012

Making Babies - Review


Shoshanna Easling owns Bulk Herb Store and recently published a new book and DVD set. Shoshanna covers Natural fertility and natural pregnancy tips, herbal suggestions, and whole foods recipes in her new series, Making Babies.

I was, for a short moment, overwhelmed by all of the information I was given - how many pages to read and how many hours to watch. But then, when you consider that her series is meant to encourage women through preconception, conception, pregnancy, birth, and after birth, this series is perfect.

Shoshanna tells us a little about herself and Making Babies:
I got my inspiration for the Making Babies series from the pregnancy and birth of my first child. I loved every stage of my pregnancy and birth! I enjoyed learning and researching when I had morning sickness and when I got indigestion. Every time I was faced with another bridge, I would research, study, learn, apply, and rise to new heights of excitement. I knew everything I did, and did not do, would make a difference with me and my growing baby. It is not always easy finding good food to eat, knowing what exercises to do, and asking the right questions to the right people, but I researched it step by step and enjoyed a healthy pregnancy and birth.

I grew up in an Amish community. Talk about making babies–whoa, they make a lot! No, I am not Amish, but I am a blood-bought child of God. Twenty-five years ago my parents were artists living in Memphis, Tennessee. They wanted to raise us five children in the country so we could learn the dying art of homemaking and the skills of country living. Hard work, herbal remedies, nutritional health, home births, and common sense were all part of the lifestyle in the Amish community.
In November 2004, my husband James and I found out we were pregnant with our first child. I knew I wanted to have my baby in the soothing warmth of my own home, so I went to talk to a midwife. I had assisted in two births before I got married, and knew I wanted my children’s births to be better. With good food, the right exercises, and relaxation, the birth of Jeremiah James was WONDERFUL! The midwife that attended had been to over 350 births and said it was the best she had ever attended. Since my firstborn, I never stopped researching the wonderful world of making babies.

I have been asked many questions about healthy foods, recipes, exercises, and herbal remedies from family, friends, and customers at Bulk Herb Store. In November 2009, we got pregnant with our second child. I was so excited about my pregnancy journey. I was going to have another baby! I thought about all the horrible births I had heard about, and wanted to show women across the world how beautiful pregnancy and birth can be, so I started the Making Babies series. - Making Babies on Facebook
The DVD:
  • Making Babies DVD Volume I follows Shoshanna through the first trimester of her pregnancy. There are countless recipes, remedies, and herb concoctions, as well as a wealth of information about fertility, conception, morning sickness and pregnancy.
  • Making Babies DVD Volume II covers Shoshanna’s second and third trimester – along with plenty more healthy recipes, remedies, and herb concoctions. It also includes exercises, birth preparation, information on the birth experience and much more.
  • Making Babies DVD Volume III begins with Shoshanna’s wonderful natural birth, then covers the postpartum period as she stays healthy with her new baby. Making Babies Vol 3. is also full of deliciously healthy recipes, remedies and herb concoctions. Because of the sensitivities of little Penelope (and a blessing to many others like myself), she includes many recipes that are gluten free and casein free. It includes information about birth, nursing, postpartum, losing weight and getting in shape, and much more.
The DVD set is over 7 hours of instruction and education. 

The Book:
The Book is hardback and includes over 480 pages filled with delectable recipes, inspiring herbals, and full color photographs of beautiful babies and glowing mamas. The contents are broken down into the same chapters as the DVD set:
  • Making Babies DVD Volume 1
  • Making Babies DVD Volume 2
  • Making Babies DVD Volume 3
  • My Pregnancy Cookbook
  • Did You Know?
  • Grandma's Remedies
  • Baby Diary
  • Resources
The book is really great, but the DVD really sets her series apart from others like it. Shoshanna's energy and excitement are contagious and make my limbs tickle to get into the kitchen and brew up one of her herbal tonics or delicious meals.

Not only are there beautiful recipes to drool over, tinctures to encourage healthy living, and drinks to optimize energy, but I love her continuing recipes for healthy home. They include recipes for baby balm, homemade diaper rash ointment, toothpaste, and so much more!  There is such a wealth of knowledge within this series!

I have one major critique of the series: Shoshanna talks about their choice to circumcise, but doesn't really give any good solid evidence behind it, only her opinion and 'opinion-as-fact'.

Beyond that, I am ecstatic for this series and so happy that there is an educational and inspirational series to encourage women during their childbearing season to be healthy inside and out.

I look forward to having Making Babies as part of my lending library!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews